This easy BBQ sauce recipe without vinegar goes extremely well with pork! And it’s made with nothing more than a few simple ingredients and I’m using plums for a subtle fruity flavor. It’s also quite adjustable so you can tweak it to suit any occasion.
Easy BBQ Sauce Recipe Without Vinegar
This simple homemade bbq sauce is made without apple cider vinegar, but it doesn’t taste any less good!
Its neat blend of sweet, sour, and umami flavors make it a great fit for pork ribs or even chops, pulled pork burgers, and grilled chicken.
And it’s made with nothing more than a handful of simple, organic ingredients that are available at every grocery store.
But the best part is that it doesn’t contain any artificial preservatives or sweeteners!
Maybe read next: How to defrost a pork shoulder like a pro?
Ingredients for BBQ Sauce
- Tomato sauce is used as the base of the sauce
- Plums add a subtle fruity flavor
- Honey enhances the sweetness of the sauce
- Soy sauce balances the overall taste
- Spice mix adds a final touch of flavor
How to Make It
- Remove the pits from plums, chop them and add them into a saucapan with the rest of the ingredients.
- Bring all of the ingredients to a boil in a small saucepan.
- Simmer on low heat until the sauce thickens.
- Blend the sauce to a smooth consistency.
- Transfer into a glass jar or a bowl. (check full recipe below)
Tips & Variations
- Hot – You can turn up the heat with some hot peppers, chili flakes, or cayenne pepper!
- Smokey – Add a dash of liquid smoke along with some minced onion and garlic powder for an earthy fragrance.
– the texture of maple syrup makes it a great substitute for honey. It also brings a deeper, more nuanced flavor than honey. And let me just shamelessly point out that I also have a recipe for an easy honey hot wing sauce which may interest you.
Got any leftovers?
You can store the sauce in a tight glass-sealed jar for a week after you make it.
I usually rarely make more BBQ sauce than needed but when I do I store it in general-purpose sealed jars and “enforce” another barbecue event in the upcoming week if I can.
Not so much because of the sauce but because we do happen to love barbecue!
By the way, another sauce recipe you may be interested in: Homemade Spaghetti Sauce Without Tomato Paste
↑ Click stars to rate now!
Easy BBQ Sauce Without Vinegar
- 15 oz organic tomato sauce
- 1/2 lbs plums I used 260 grams
- 1 cup water
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- Start by removing the pits from the plums.
- Chop the plums and put them in a small saucepan along with the rest of the ingredients.
- Stir all of the ingredients and bring them to a boil.
- Turn the heat to low and simmer for 30 minutes.
- Blend the sauce until it reaches a smooth consistency which should take roughly 2 minutes.
↑ Click stars to rate now!
I do my best to provide you with the nutritional information for recipes but I'm not a certified nutritionist. The nutritional information provided should only be treated as an estimate since it will vary based on cooking methods and brands of ingredients used.